Nasturtium Capers, Part II
Today at lunch I took a walk and collected more nasturtium seeds. I reread the recipe and realized that I should have been picking them even younger and smaller than I had been, so I tried to skew my efforts to picking the youngest seeds that were green—the very youngest ones, while they are white, would probably also not be good, but the larger ones, or the ones that have begun to shrink and turn white again, are too hard and dry to be very tasty.
Process, and pics, below the jump.
Once I got home tonight, I gathered my ingredients:
I peeled the head of garlic (it was a very tiny one that I grew in a pot from a sprouting clove, and was of course very proud of that), sorted out the best nasturtium seeds and washed them, and prepped the large jar by boiling water in it in the microwave—probably wouldn’t have bothered except that it had last been used for garden stuff, so it might have unwanted microorganisms in it.
I actually ended up using more brine than I needed to thoroughly cover the capers. The jar I was using as a “weight” only goes so far into the yogurt crock, so I needed to raise the brine level to suit.
I noticed that I was trapping air bubbles in the concave bottom of the jar, and that seemed bad, so I carefully tilted the jar to nurse the bubble out.
Then I covered the whole contraption with a lightweight cloth and set it in a quiet place in my room. Sandor suggests tasting the capers every day, and shares that his were ready after developing a film of mold on the surface of the brine at about a week. I’m hoping to get by without the surface mold, but we’ll see.